Thursday, October 16, 2008

Small town USA

This week has been a reminder of what a small town we live in. The farmer's are harvesting their crops and Mia was quite interested in that. She watched the tractor harvest the beans in the field behind our house and told Daddy and Grandma all about it.

Today we went to IGA. The local grocery store hasn't changed much over the years, except it's not open 24 hours anymore. Everything in Metamora generally shuts down by 7 it seems like. A few restaurants stay open later. Anyways, back to the IGA story. We did our weekly grocery shopping, which we usually do at Walmart, at IGA this week instead. They had some really good deals. The cashiers are so friendly and there are people all over the store that help you find what you are looking for. I asked a lady in the deli a ? and she said, "Sure, I'll show you right where it's at." Then walked me over, didn't just say in isle 5. We checked out, they called another bagger up to bag our grocery and we walked out. This is when it really hit me, we live in a small town and people are so nice here. They had loaded all our groceries into another cart and told me to pull up. My cart was #40. As soon as I got the kids loaded and pulled up in front of the store a very nice guy came right out with my cart and loaded all my groceries for me. Mia wanted to know where all our food went and who the man was that brought it out. She had never experienced it before. I'm glad she has now and it was nice to experience it again myself!

3 comments:

Mrs. Hany said...

gotta love it, I am so glad you are back to experience it!

Sarah Jackson said...

The IGA!!! HOLLA!! That's so sad that it is not open 24 hours anymore. I love that your kids are able to experience small town life. So many people in this world will never know what that is like. As for the combines and harvesting, it's amazing how it all works!

Jen said...

they are sooo cute! love the small town usa... it's the little things that make a difference and make your life easier!